Nothing is more fun than seeing your home decorated with beautiful, sparkling lights for Christmas. As wonderful as it is, setting up the lights can be a dangerous task. Before putting yourself in harm’s way, read the safety tips below.
- Be sure to check any and all strands of lights for frayed ends, cracked bulbs, or loose connections.
- A well watered Christmas tree is not only healthy, but can prevent a fire. Water your tree regularly to keep it green.
- New strands of lights have fused plugs to help prevent sparks. Throw out any older lights and invest in newer, safer ones.
- To prevent getting shocked or electrocuted, plug your lights into a ground fault circuit interrupter outlet.
- Extension cords can overheat. If your cord feels hot, unplug it immediately.
- Do not use metal nails, tacks, screws, or any other metal objects to hang your lights, as they can cut the plastic around the cord and cause electrical shocks. Use plastic hooks instead.
- Tape down any cords that may cause people to trip over them and fall.
- Make sure your lights are for outdoor use, as lights that are strictly for indoor use have thinner cords that can become damaged in the elements.
- Use cord covers on all connections. These will prevent debris from damaging the connections, and are much safer than plastic bags or masking tape.
- Turn your lights off when you leave the house or go to bed. Fires can easily be prevented this way. Set a timer in case you forget, and the lights will turn off on their own!
What are some ways you can keep your family safe during the holidays?